Friday, October 9, 2009

Week Six - The Purloined Letter and The Tell Tale Heart

The Purloined Letter

The main thing I liked about this tory was the quote Dupin left in the duplicate letter for the Minister. I think the quote really says a lot about Dupin, especially when you know what it's about. I knew the basic gist of Atres and Thyestes but when Dr. Kiddie elaborated on it in class, well it struck me. I really wanted to know what the Minister did to Dupin because that is one powerful story to quote from.

Anyway, I liked the story for what it was - a detective story. I liked how everyone was being sneaky in plain sight. Well, the Minister and Dupin. Dupin really turned the tables on the Minister by doing ot him what he did to the Queen. What goes around comes around.

The Tell Tale Heart

So far this is one of my favorite Poe stories. I love how the narrator claims he isn't mad yet by the end of the story he's all crazy. I love the style of narration - it feels like the narrator is talking directly to the reader trying to convince the reader of his sanity. I've always felt like he was talking to a psychiatrist but it can really be taken either way. It adds to the intrigue of the story not knowing whom the narrator is really addressing.

I never thought to read this story from the viewpoint that the old man doesn't exist. Now that I have, I like it even more. It just makes the narrator seem that much more crazy in a special way. Just thinking that the narrator made up the old man makes you wonder what it is about himself that he wants to kill. It's a total metaphor. Maybe he wanted to kill himself but he couldn't, so he concocted this old man and when the police come they realize the narrator has gone bat shit crazy and they lock him up.


No comments:

Post a Comment